A Blue Ribbon for SHS

Sarah Winters

SWAMPSCOTT On Thursday, February 7th, Swampscott High School held its Blue Ribbon ceremony to honor its faculty and students.

Thursday afternoon, all students were called down to the auditorium to listen to Massachusetts dignitaries speak and congratulate our school. The Swampscott High School band played while students walked in and got seated. The ceremony started with the teachers walking in and everyone rising for the pledge of allegiance. The first performances were the Step Squad and Dance Team, who were both outstanding.

Josh Badal-Rodrigues and Fiona Herring were the masters of ceremony, and introduced all of the speakers. Governor Charlie Baker was the first speaker, who opened with “I can’t believe I had to follow the dance team and the step team,” highlighting the talent of the performances.  He went on to explain that only 108 schools in the Commonwealth have received this honor since 1984. He was followed by Superintendent Pamela Angelakis, who was sure to thank Mr. Kohut and Ms. Mackey-Knowles for stepping in and taking over when we had a lapse in leadership last year.

Assistant Principal Dennis Kohut spoke before student Joe Varghees, who encouraged his fellow students to “keep up the great work”.  Deputy Director Rick Jakious, who spoke on behalf of Representative Seth Moulton, explained that this award represents “The best of the best”.  State Representative Lori Ehrlich, State Senator Brendan Crighton, and MA Commissioner of Education Jeffrey Riley followed.

The ceremony itself was about an hour and a half, but was very organized and well put together. Students were treated with blue Jelly Beans brought by Mrs. Angelakis, and a photo booth provided by the school. At the end of the day students got Tredwells ice cream in the atrium to celebrate the amazing accomplishment Swampscott High School has achieved.

It is an honor to be able to say I go to a Blue Ribbon school. I have always known that SHS was a special school, and now a national organizations is recognizing it. We are so lucky to be part of this community, and I can’t wait to see what the future holds for our Blue Ribbon school.