Swampscott Big Blue Football: Sports in Swampscott on an upward trend as our community comes together

Natasha Tsaryuk

SWAMPSCOTT– Swampscott High School’s Big Blue Football team won their fourth game of the season, as the community came together on Saturday, September 29th at Phillips Park in Swampscott while the cheerleaders and band performed and many community members came out to support.

Saturday marked an important and special day for the Big Blue and the people of the town of Swampscott, Massachusetts. The Swampscott Big Blue faced off the Salem Witches in an intense, and fast-paced  game of football on Saturday afternoon at Phillips Park.

Some highlights include the win against the Salem Witches, and the upbeat performances by the Big Blue Cheerleaders and the marching band.

Nick Flint, one of the captains shared, “Our teams record is now 4-0 which means that we are one step closer to making it to Gillette. We, as a football team, as well as the people of Swampscott, are hoping for another win next week over Lynn English…everyone come out and support us!” According to Flint, during this past game, a highlight was the wide receiver Connor Lynch kept the team going and ran 100 yards. Also, he mentioned that a few players who we saw prominently scoring touchdowns were Andrew Agustine, Xavier Bascon, and Jonathan Oriaki, ending the game with a final score of 44-36 over the Witches.

Hannah Vernava, the cheering captain stated that, “The next game should be an interesting one especially with the cheerleaders because I will be the only captain cheering with the girls, so it will really be a time for the junior girls to step up and show their support for the team. I think it is so important for us to work hard and keep the games alive with cheers like Whos the best? SHS, Move it Down the Field, Go Big Blue, Everybody Say…those are definitely some of the fan favorites.” Captain Vernava also mentioned the fact that nobody should get too excited, as the next game will be a tough one, but as long as everyone stays together as a community and supports the boys, the team is going to have a good season. Go Big Blue!