Black Panther soundtrack review

Trevor Donahue

The Black Panther album has generated copious amounts of buzz as of recent. It’s the brainchild of Kendrick Lamar, a popular and Grammy Award-winning rapper, but just how good is it?

Well, this album is a wonderful blend of rap and R&B with powerful messages having to relate with the African-American struggle, but also the triumph that follows it up. Kendrick Lamar has his hands all over this and I think that’s the way it should be. Kendrick’s songs in the past have well-exercised these messages, with him exemplifying his own life and experiences being a black man in America. His groundbreaking and Grammy Award-winning album To Pimp A Butterfly perfectly reflects on the same ideas of struggle and empowerment that Black Panther incorporated in both the film and it’s music.

The track list is very strong with major artists featured on each song, which is where most of the hype around it stems from. This album, and/or soundtrack, depending on how you see it, has me asking if there is such a thing as too much Kendrick Lamar because it seems he is on EVERY track. Some might even argue that the album can entirely be based on your own opinion of him.

The powerful messages that are presented on songs like “Black Panther”, “Seasons”, and “Bloody Waters” are ingeniously mixed up with mesmerizing, hard hitting bars with bumping beats on songs like “Opps”, “Paramedic!”, and “ King’s Dead”. Another thing to love about this album is it’s not totally separate from the movie; there are many instances where references are made to characters in the movie in the songs, which really unifies both entities.The songs, the beats and the overall feel of the album completely lines up with the attitude and themes expressed and explored in the film, and it’s definitely something for any fan of rap and R&B to listen to this year.