In progress- SHS spring musical

Logan Hill

This year, the Swampscott High School Drama Club will be performing the Addams Family for the spring musical on April 5th, 6th, and 7th at 7 p.m.

Every year, the spring musical is designed to be unique from previous musicals, and this year is no different. This year, the drama club is performing the Addams Family.

Originally a comic strip in the New Yorker, it was adapted into a show during the early 60’s, and has since found success in movies, broadway musicals, and various television programs. This show is different from past musicals because while most previous musicals have had happy, light moods, this play has a much darker tone.

When asked about whether this play was more difficult than previous plays she has been in, Alessandra Amore, who plays Fester Addams, said “This show is definitely a change from the shows we typically do because we aren’t all happy-smiley, and lots of the songs are in very scary or intimidating keys, so I’d say the change is pretty difficult for us to get used to.”

Given that it takes months of practices and rehearsals before the cast is ready to perform, it is easy to see that learning a part in the play is no small feat.

When asked what he thought the most difficult thing about the musical was, Graham Templeman, who plays Mal Beineke, said, “I think the hardest part about the production is really getting to know and understand your character better, because if you truly want to embody the character then you need to figure out how he and she acts and the way they think and how they would react to certain things.”

“I personally am very happy with the part I got, he is a ton of fun to work with, and I enjoy working with everyone in the cast” said Graham.