Swampscott’s varsity volleyball team makes playoffs for the First time in 6 years

Zack Richards

On November 2nd, 2017, Big Blue’s varsity volleyball team suits up to play Lynnfield High as part of the 2017 Massachusetts Girl’s Volleyball State Tournament in Lynnfield at 6:00pm.

Big Blue is coming in as the underdogs for today’s matchup as they boast a 9-7 record compared to Lynnfield’s 17-3 record. Lynnfield’s home advantage might be the defining factor, as Swampscott is 4-4 on the road this season, while Lynnfield has only lost once at home. Swampscott is looking to bounce back strong following their 3-1 loss to Peabody Veterans Memorial High School last Friday. Meanwhile, the Pioneers are trying to preserve their three-win streak.

Leading up to the game, Big Blue’s volleyball team has been “Working harder than ever before.” said Mallory Kessler, who plays opposite for the team. She added that “We know we’re facing harder teams, and we’re ready for anything right now.”

Everybody on the team is ecstatic about its current state, as they’re on an upward trend. Claudia Mazariegos, one of the captains on the team, exclaimed to me that she’s “Very proud of our perseverance this season. We’re a great team that has worked hard to get where we are. This is my first year going to the playoffs and I’m very excited to see what happens.”