Guidance holds Naviance bootcamp

Logan Hill

Over the past several weeks, Swampscott High School has been hosting Naviance Boot Camp, a course designed to help upperclassmen get through the college application process.

This course is specifically designed for students who have questions about some of the more confusing aspects of the college application procedure. It is also meant to stop students from procrastinating with college essays, and reduce stress and anxiety. Mrs.  Barnum, the guidance counselor, explained, “We are offering this new opportunity to students because in prior years we have found that students procrastinate so long and don’t complete the applications properly and/or with less effective guidance (from parents or counselors) due to time constraints.”

One of the main things this course focuses on is helping individual students with whatever questions they may have regarding college applications. It is also meant to increase how efficiently students write and help students learn to focus on what’s important and what’s not when writing an application. “Now, we can focus our individual meetings more on content, theme, positioning of the applications and reviewing the students’ writing (for the personal and supplemental essays),” said Barnum.

The final bootcamp meeting is Tuesday, October 10th in the first floor computer lab.