Deadpool, fast-paced and funny

Ariella Nardizzi

Combining fast-paced action and morbid, yet hilarious, comedy, “Deadpool” provides quality entertainment for superhero movie lovers. Directed by Tom Miller and co-written by Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, this film was released in the United States on February 12, 2016.

The movie is about a man named Wade Wilson (Ryan Reynolds), who was put through torturous experimentation which ultimately gave him special healing powers. Coming to terms with his new alter ego, he adopts the name Deadpool, as well as dawns a typical superhero disguise (all the way down to the mask). Wilson adapts to this change by focusing his life on his new work: tracking down the man who almost killed him.

A key aspect of this film that I enjoyed was not only the action; rather, it was the dark, satirical comedy that made this movie stand out to me. Reynolds portrayed his character with near-perfection, giving Wilson a sense of depth, but also an obscure sense of humor. The actor showed a lot of emotion in his performance throughout the film, as well as had a lot of strong supporting actors surrounding him: Morena Baccarin, who played love interest Vanessa Carlysle; Stefan Kapicic, who played Colossus; Brianna Hildebrand, who played Negasonic Teenage Warhead; and Gina Carano, who played Angel Dust.

I especially noticed that the camera work and special effects included in this movie were stunning, and extremely advanced. Not only did it feel as though the audience were sometimes moving along with Deadpool, but the effects and makeup used during the action scenes were incredibly realistic and exciting. I would recommend this film to people who have enjoyed Marvel movies in the past, as well as an older audience due to the dark humor, violence, and occasional explicit language. I personally liked the film, and although I have not seen many superhero movies in the past, this made me want to watch more. Overall, I think the movie had a strong cast, plot, and used special effects really well; the humor, in my opinion though, made the film.