Review: ‘Trolls’ Trolls Embark on an Adventure to Save Their Friends and Learn About Emotions

Clara Harrington

Musical

PG

1h 32m

Dreamworks’ new blockbuster, Trolls, directed by Mike Mitchell and Anand Tucker and voiced by an all-star cast, was released on November 4, 2016 and it’s simple plot includes a complex network of emotions and themes that take viewers on an emotional roller coaster ride. Poppy (voiced by Anna Kendrick) is a young troll and daughter of the troll king, King Peppy (voiced by Jeffrey Tambor). She lives a very happy life with the rest of the trolls who spend their time singing together, telling stories, dancing, and hugging. Branch (voiced by Justin Timberlake), the only troll who does not engage in these activities, warns the other trolls that the Bergens, creatures whose greatest desire is to be happy from eating trolls, will come to eat them and they will not be prepared. When a Bergen comes to kidnap several trolls, Poppy and Branch must go to where the Bergens reside to rescue their friends who were taken. On their journey,  they learn about each other and understand their differences. They learn from each other and form interesting and special relationships.   

The film included a number of musical compositions, some that were familiar and others that were original. Anna Kendrick’s wide vocal range, Justin Timberlake’s unique voice, and the cast’s powerful and diverse sounds made the songs enjoyable. The use of familiar songs made the musical unique in the way that the viewer has the ability to connect on another level and listen to fresh new version of the song. It included covers of popular songs like, “True Colors,” “Hello,” and “Dream a Little Dream of Me.” The film also included the popular song, “Can’t Stop the Feeling!” by Justin Timberlake which reached number one on the U.S. charts.

The film focused on using bright colors which effectively emphasized the trolls’ happiness. Also, the detail of the characters and setting brought a realistic element to the film and allowed viewers to connect and feel present.

The film’s use of lighting and bright coloration really illustrated the emotions that the trolls or other characters were feeling. It really helped the viewer to capture the mood of the movie and gave the film a fast and energetic pulse.

Although the movie was original and had many interesting twists, at some parts, the musical was predictable and utilized too many clichés.

“Trolls” highlighted the important theme that people who share differences can get along and learn from each other. It also illustrated how positivity can dramatically change the outcome of a situation.  It had many good morals and lessons that an audience of all ages can learn from.

The movie’s exceptional result is definitely worth watching and the inviting songs and energy are unavoidable.