SHS Winter Sports Season

Ariella Nardizzi

After the end of an exciting fall sports season at Swampscott High School, student-athletes are now preparing to continue their athletics throughout the winter months. The SHS winter sports season started on Monday, November 28th, and this season offers a variety of sports including girls/boys track and field, co-ed swim and dive, girls/boys basketball, girls/boys ice hockey, boys wrestling, girls basketball cheering, girls/boys ski team, and girls gymnastics.

While many of the sports offered generally require prior knowledge and experience regarding the sport, indoor track is one of the most popular sports at SHS due to many athletes easily picking up this sport. One of the major reasons that people run track is, in part, to stay in shape between fall and spring seasons. “I do track mostly to get exercise in the winter months,” said Megan Mentuck, a sprinter and 400m runner who has participated in track for four years. Sophomores Ally Hartmann and Simone Nardizzi both agreed with Mentuck’s statement as well, saying that they run track “to get in shape.” Hartmann runs the 55m dash and 4x200m relay, while Nardizzi runs the 1000m and 4x400m relay.

Another key component of indoor track, however, is the family-like atmosphere that comes with being apart of this team. While Hartmann admitted that she originally began running to get exercise, she further explained that she “stayed with it because she really enjoys the atmosphere.” Mentuck said the same, “My favorite thing about indoor track is definitely the team. I really like the people who run.” Though track tends to be a more individual sport, junior varsity and varsity runners all run together at practices and generally have the same workouts, which further promotes unity among the team.

Having lost many seniors from last year, the team is doing their best to prepare for their first meet this coming week on Thursday, December 8th; the meet will take place at 4 pm in the Swampscott High School gym. Though the runners each have individual goals that they are trying to accomplish this season, they are also looking forward to working together as a team. “I think we’re going to do great this year, since everyone has such a positive attitude,” said Mentuck. “I want everyone to have a great experience, and I want to finish my last year on a good note.” While this winter season will be Mentuck’s last, Hartmann and Nardizzi are only halfway done with their high school track careers. “We have a strong group of girls this year,” said Nardizzi. Hartmann agreed, but said she’d enjoy more team bonding events off the track.