My reaction to the 2016 election

Caroline Munnelly

Tuesday’s election on November 8th shocked the world and turned establishment politics on its head. Donald J. Trump was elected as the 45th president of the United States, beating his opponent Hillary Clinton. Proving that a man with no experience in government or its running could win the presidency. Like in all parts of the nation right now, there is a lot of tension. To truly move on and heal, we must understand both sides of the spectrum. This election more than any others has caused a major divide among individuals. It has damaged relationships and forced people to evaluate their own personal views.

In my opinion I see this election as a turning point for both sides of the political climate. The republicans now have control of both the Senate and the House of Representatives. This complete republican control is going to change how America is run in January. This anti-government attitude and hateful speech is also going to change how it is run. I was personally stunned by the results of the election. I was supportive of Hillary and couldn’t believe that our country could choose someone who had no political experience and said such hateful words. I believe this election has demonstrated how strong hate is and what we have to come to terms with. Although some people are hoping that Trump is going to fail in office, I hope that he will be able to succeed in his office, because hoping for his failure is hoping for the failure of our country. The comments that he made in his campaign have already started to fuel hate crimes and justification for those who believe that hate is the only way to make progress. I hope that our president elect will understand that our country is about progress, freedom, and acceptance compared to hate and bigotry. This, like any election cycle, will only last for a fixed amount of time. Life will go on. But we must continue to fight for what we believe in. Those disagreements that people have about policy plan, should not flee the country. But stand and fight for what you believe in. I desperately hope that this is a wake up call for the millennials of our generation to make change and fight back. 2016 will be remembered in the future as the year that the United States of America elected Donald J. Trump as president, whether that be for the good or the bad, the future can only tell.

1 Comment

One Response to “My reaction to the 2016 election”

1. Alexa Papazoglou on November 20th, 2016 7:57 pm

I completely thought that Hilary was going to win most of the electoral votes. I was especially shocked when Trump took Pennsylvania and Florida.

[Reply]

*

The student news site of Swampscott High School
My reaction to the 2016 election