Athletes prepare for upcoming winter sports

Clara Harrington

As fall sports wrap up, athletes at Swampscott High School eagerly await  and prepare for the commencement of  winter sports including skiing, basketball, indoor track, ice hockey, wrestling, swimming, and basketball cheerleading.

The athletic meeting held for winter athletes and their parents at 6:00 p.m. on November 17th ensured that everyone knew the rules regarding the relationship between a student’s athletic and academic responsibilities. It also discussed the topic of concussions and how they affect an active athlete. Athletes were given the chance to meet the coaches and formally sign up. They also heard what was required of them as an athlete.

Alex Gladstone, a junior at the Swampscott High School and member of the girl’s indoor track team commented on why she likes being apart of the team, “[Indoor track] is different from other sports because the team is really big so everyone brings a different aspect to it.”

Sophie Jeffries, another Swampscott athlete, explained why she was excited to join the SHS swim team this winter, “I’m excited because I have never been on a competitive swim team before and I want to see what it’s like.”

The athletic director, Kelly Farley, also commented on the importance of participating in a sport, “[Sports] teach lifelong fitness and and health. They have a social and emotional component where one is working with others towards a goal, dealing with adversity, winning with grace, and losing with dignity.” She went on to say, “I think for some students it creates a sense of belonging to the school community.”

Practice will begin for all teams on Monday, November 28th, following Thanksgiving weekend.