Filed under Sports, Uncategorized

Big Blue Boys Soccer prepares for Marblehead rematch

Advertisement - SNO Ad Network

The Swampscott High School Boy’s Soccer Team will take on the Marblehead Magicians on October 31st at 3:30 pm, and the game will take place at Upper Jackson in Swampscott. It will be the second time in the 2016 season that the two teams will face off, continuing their fierce rivalry.

The boys’ season has gotten off to a solid start with seven wins, one tie, and two losses thus far. With captains Michael Coffey, Jack Dennehy, Max Carbone, Owen Pearse, and Jack Herlihy leading the way, Big Blue is hoping to continue their successful run by taking on the Marblehead Magicians in their upcoming rematch game. “Beating Marblehead for the first time in the senior’s high school career was very exciting for the team,” said senior and captain Michael Coffey. Swampscott beat Marblehead in a close 1-0 game in late September; though they are proud of this accomplishment, the team is focusing on once again taking on their rival and will use their prior win as further motivation.

Even though beating Marblehead was an exciting win because of the intense rivalry, Swampscott was even more so motivated by this win because of their past record with Marblehead. “That win showed how far we have come as a team since we’ve never beaten Marblehead in my high school career,” said senior and captain Jack Dennehy. “I am confident that we can beat Marblehead playing the way we play; however Marblehead always finds a way to step up their game against us so we have to be ready for anything.” In order to be triumphant once again, the team is strategizing to ensure that they’re at the peak of their game on the 31st. “We need a better start. We’ll press faster, score more quickly and more often, and tighten up on defense,” said Coffey, regarding tactics to use during the game. “Overall, we need to step up our game.”

Though the rivalry game is a big one, the tournament after the boys’ regular season is not very far in the future either. With playoffs as the goal of their season every year, the team has been working hard to constantly improve and make it as far as they can for Tournament. “We plan to improve by playing with a faster tempo, quicker passes, and more people involved in offensive attacks,” said Coffey. While fitness and scoring early were also huge components of strengthening the team as a whole, the captains explained that there was more to soccer than the technical aspects. “A big challenge that the team has faced is overcoming a hunger for goals and focusing on the basics like winning as a team,” said Dennehy.

Though this season has had it’s challenges, it will be the final run for the seniors who have played on this team since they began high school. “I’ve played with a lot of my teammates since kindergarten so this is really our last run together,” reflected Coffey. “I’ve loved my time on the SHS team,” said Dennehy. “I’m glad that my grade has been able to make a difference in the program at this school.” Coffey is unsure if he will play varsity soccer in college, whereas Dennehy hopes to continue his soccer career after high school.